Printed from www.praguewithalberto.com

Vyšehrad

According to the legend the Princess Libuše predicted the birth of Prague from this high ground on the Moldau…

“ a town whose glory will rise to the stars…”

Vyšehrad is the oldest part of Prague after the Castle and it was the second center of power of the Premyslides the first dynasty of slavonic origin that ruled the country for the first four centuries of its history. The name means High Castle and marks well its position on a rock facing the river. The history of Vyšehrad traces back to the X century: at that time it was already the mint of the dynasty. This family was not so quiet inside so this second castle was created far from the first. The prince Vratislav II founded in 1070 the Chapter of Vyšehrad to point out the independence of the place. The last prince who lived here was Soběslav between 1125 and 1140. Later this area lost its importance until the first half of the XIV century when it was reconstructed for the will of Elise of the Premislides, mother of Emperor Charles IV, who elected Vyšehrad as her residence. During the Hussies war in 1400 Vyšehrad was on the king side so it was later seized and conquered by the Protestants. Some reconstructions were made in renaissance style in 1500 and after the Thirty Years War it was surrounded by baroque ramparts. At the end of XIX century the Church of Saint Peter and Paul, of romanesque origin with gothic, renaissance and baroque reconstruction was built again in neo-gothic style. At the same time it was created a cemetery where all the Greats of the nation are buried. Smetana, Dvořák, Jan Neruda and many others rip here. Not so much has been preserved from the past but it’s a nice place for an overlook of the city.

A walk around Vyšehrad

To get there we take metro C red direction Háje and we stop at Vyšehrad. When we go out of the metro station we face a huge building. This is the Palace of Culture that hosted in the past the congresses of the communist parties and now it’s used for trade fairs, shows and congresses. Due to its color and dimension it has been nicknamed the Whale of Prague. This place hosted in September 2000 the WTO and G 7 meetings with strong demonstrations and fights between police and rebels.

We follow the building and go down the steps to the narrow street, which will lead us to the baroque ramparts. A little further we can see the external gate called the Tabor Gate and further on the Leopold Gate used in the movie Amadeus in the end after the funeral. of Mozart.

Soon after the gate we can see one of the three romanesque rotundas still existing in Prague: the Rotunda of S. Martin. We turn to the left to start our walk on the ramparts and later we arrive to a lawn where once there was the palace of the princes, later royal palace, of which we can see only some stones on the grass.

A little further on we get to the Church of Saint Peter and Paul in neo-gothic style. The interior is worth a visit for the richness of the decorations. On the left side of the church there is the entrance of the Cemetery. We continue our walk on the ramparts facing the side towards the center.

At the end of the walk we have two possibilities:

1) we reach the rotunda and turn left to go back to the metro.
2) We turn on the opposite side and go down the street to get out of Vyšehrad through the Brick Wall from 1841 Empire style.
After the gate we can turn to the first street to the right where we can see a cubist building at the end, left side. We go back to the main street and continue down looking at the nice façades. We turn left to the bank of the river and left again. we are now in front of three cubist houses. We trace back our steps to the opposite direction and find another cubist villa: Villa Libušina.

After the railway bridge there are the tram stops to get to the center. According to our final destination we can choose the number 3, 16, 17.

Vysehrad


All rights reserved. Total or partial reproduction of the content must be approved by the author of this site.